|Exterior view of alms houses|
|Interior view of alms houses|
Reydon's Alms houses, ‘The Rest' in Covert Road, were opened in 1908. With their distinctive gate houses, the appearance has changed little on the outside, but they have been greatly improved inside.
The benefactor was Andrew Matthews, a successful businessman with a main home in Willesden, and a house in Lorne Road Southwold. One unusual rule was that any resident displaying a certain photograph of his wife, Ellen, on her birthday, was given a 5 shilling reward!
These grade 2 listed buildings are still run by a charity for local older residents.