Amelia Doy outside the first Reydon Post Office
|Post Office on Lowestoft Road|
The first Post Office in Reydon was at the junction of School Lane and Wangford Road, and the building, now called Smithy Cottage, housed both the Post Office and the Blacksmiths.
The first Postmaster, Charles Doy, was also the Blacksmith, and his wife Amelia served in the Post Office.
The Post Office then moved to Lowestoft Road on the opposite corner to the current Barbook's store, then later integrated into Barbrook's itself. Sadly, despite much local opposition, the Post Office in Reydon was closed in 2008.
Reydon has a fine church, St Margaret's, and dating from the early 14th century it is the oldest building in the village. Follow this link to learn more about the history of the church.
The Randolph Hotel, on the Wangford Road was built in 1899 as an Adnams hotel. Follow this link to learn more about the history of the Randolph.
Reydon Hall on the Wangford Road, built in the C16th and then substantially extended by Thomas Ewen in 1682, is the village's largest private dwelling. For some years it was home to the Misses Strickland, authors of ‘The Queens of England'. Much of the land on which Reydon was built after World War II originally formed part of the Reydon Hall estate.